BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 26, 2010

Bathing Suit Blues


My husband and I are getting ready to go on vacation for eight days. Eight glorious days of sun and the ocean and scuba diving and eating and drinking and ….wearing nothing but bathing suits and shorts for eight whole days! I’m very excited and at the same time I’m scared to death.

It seems like every time we're getting close to the actual date of leaving for vacation the excitement is tempered and suppressed by fear. I am so afraid of going on vacation in a fat body. I tell myself my body is too fat and I don’t want to be seen in shorts and bathing suits on the beach or on a boat or while I’m scuba diving. It’s like because I’m fat, I tell myself I don’t deserve to be on vacation and I certainly don’t deserve to have any fun. I should feel ashamed the entire time because I am fat.

This vacation seems especially scary because we’re going with three other couples. And you can bet that I will be the fattest woman there. The eight of us are renting a live aboard catamaran and will spend the time scuba diving and travelling around all of the islands in the British Virgin Islands. The scary part is that I’ll be spending all that time with people I know and will need to interact with. I won’t just be an anonymous person on the beach crowded with lots of people, like a lot of our vacations are like. I’ll be with three beautiful women. I’m embarrassed and scared to have a bathing suit on, baring my fat and dimpled thighs and wearing a one piece (I’m sure the other ladies will all be wearing bikinis!) and my stomach bulging and my arms quivering with my every move. It sounds horrific and sad and scary and everything all at once.

And in reality, it isn’t that bad. I know I’m not as fat as that makes me sound! I’m harder on myself than anyone else. I beat up on myself the most. After all, I’ve lost a bit of weight since the last vacation we went on. I’ve just completed four solid months of intense exercise and have more muscle definition than I have had in many years. I’m in good shape, I can walk and lift things and have tons more energy. I will definitely have more stamina when we scuba dive and walk around the islands on this vacation.

This promises to be an amazing trip. I’m looking forward to it. It WILL be fun! The people we are going with are good friends and great people and a riot to be with. We’ll be on a boat in the Caribbean Islands for God’s sake! I love the ocean and scuba diving and reading and lounging in the sun and being with fun people. I could have so much fun and I'm so fortunate to be going on this trip.

I have a choice to make. I can either be scared and unkind to myself during the entire trip, feeling mad and angry and scared and not enjoying myself much. Or I can choose to feel good about myself and appreciate how far I’ve come (even if no one else knows, notices or cares that I’ve come this far, I know and I care!). I can choose to be confident in my body and in the new bathing suits I bought and enjoy the people and the experiences.

I think I’ll choose to have fun! I’m determined to have fun and be comfortable with the body I have right now! I'll let you know how it goes.

0 comments: